There’s an old saying: “the Devil is in the details.” Now that your character is more or less done, you can add all the chrome. I like to start with a name first (names are important). Nicknames are always a good choice, especially in the whacked-out world of octaNe.
When describing how your character looks, here’s a trick: only write down three details. Nobody really cares about your character’s exact height and weight or the color of his eyes. C’mon, really. What you should describe are the things that really stand out:
- Wears a raggedy tuxedo and horn-rimmed glasses. Carries a white Fender guitar.
- Dresses in dusty leathers and wears a jury-rigged brace on his leg. Has a sawed-off shotgun slung on his back.
- Huge dude wearing wrestling boots and a red leather mask decorated with orange and yellow flames.
- Has a tattoo of dice on his neck that says “Born to Lose.” Wears a cowboy hat and a big gold chain.
- Small monkey wearing an orange sash and carrying a small stick. Hot chick with spiked heels. She’s wearing a tight black cat suit that’s unzipped to her navel.
- Bipedal gila monster.He’s wearing off-the-shoulder overalls, and he’s chewing a toothpick.
So here’s an official rule: You can only describe three distinct details about your character’s appearance.
I know it seems a little draconian on my part, but trust me. Not only will it make your character that much more distinct, you’re also giving stuff to the other players that they’ll be able to grab onto. Nobody cares if your character is 5’9” and has short, black hair and blue eyes. Less is more – you already know what your character looks like. Let the other players create their own mental images (even if those images don’t match up exactly). Imagination is a powerful thing.
“He’s unshaven, he’s got a wicked scar, and he’s wearing a ripped denim jacket with a Motorhead patch on the back.”
The character is a scruffy, scarred thrash metal fan. What more do you need?
La discussione è proseguita su “Gente che Gioca”: http://www.gentechegioca.it/smf/index.php/topic,7848.0.html