Slam (d10+2 damage)
Special Qualities: Amphibious, Drowning aura
The drowned lost their lives in the watery deep. The evidence of their gasping death always saturates their clothing and flesh, and fills the air around them.
Many drowned came to their current circumstances when their ships went down at sea with all hands. Others, more ancient, first arose when their island homes sank beneath the waves ages ago, drowning all. Instinct: To drag down to the depths
- Drown someone, underwater or not
- Suddenly attack from water
- Bring someone underwater
I’ve always been a fan of this monster from Dungeons & Dragons 3.5: Monster Manual III and that’s why I wanted so badly to do a Dungeon World conversion of it.
Several months later, I also took part in the redaction of Grim Portents, the Dungeon World fanzine, for which I submitted this monster you can find in the first issue (April 2013).
I hope you like it!
- [Di Rubbo, Daniele.] “Drowned.” Edited by Chris Sakkas. Grim Portents, April 2013, 24.
- Burlew, Rich, Erik Cagle, Andrew J. Finch, Gwendolyn F. M. Kestrel, Rich Redman, Matthew Sernett, Chris Thomasson, and P. Nathan Toomey. Monster Manual III. Renton, WA (USA): Wizards of the Coast, 2004, 46.
- Original drowned illustration by Wayne Reynolds, in Burlew, Rich et al. Monster Manual III. Renton, WA (USA): Wizards of the Coast, 2004, 46.
- “Fish-Beast” by Michael Wight, released under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.